Thursday, January 28, 2010

Beef: It's What's for Dinner - Again

One of my goals for 2010 is to be more efficient in my kitchen by using up leftovers. Last night was one of those nights when all we had was leftover pot roast and neither of us felt like eating it again. I happened to find a great recipe for chicken and rice burritos over at Mission Menus and thought I’d substitute the chicken with my leftover beef. Here is the recipe:

•8 Mission® 10 inch Large Flour Tortillas warmed
•Mission® Chunky Salsa, Medium
•2 1/2 cups cooked Chicken shredded
•3/4 cups Long Grain White Rice (uncooked)
•1 1 ounce package Taco Spices and Seasonings
•1 3/4 cups Water
•1 8 ounce can Tomato Sauce
•1 large Tomato chopped
•1/3 cup Green Onion chopped
•Guacamole
•Cheddar Cheese shredded

•Recipe Instructions:
1. In a large skillet, place chicken, rice, seasonings, water and tomato sauce. Bring mixture to boil, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked.
2. Add chopped tomato and green onion to combine evenly.
3. Place 1/2 cup of filling in each tortilla, roll burrito style and serve with optional garnishes.

I slathered the inside of my tortillas with refried beans, added the meat and rice filling, topped with shredded cheddar and rolled ‘em up. I garnished with salsa, chopped cilantro and shredded cheddar cheese. They came out great and were definitely a hit with the hubby!

2 comments:

  1. So funny...we have leftover roast to eat tonight...you have inspired me to make enchiladas out of the leftovers!

    ReplyDelete