Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Fabric Bulletin Board Tutorial

I have wanted a fabric bulletin board for years...literally.  Well, I finally made one and I LOVE the way it turned out!  Not only was it a fun project, but it was a fairly inexpensive way to create a unique piece for my kitchen.
Here are the supplies you will need to create your own fabric bulletin board:
  • Frame
  • Batting
  • Fabric
  • Ribbon
  • Hot glue gun
  • Fabric covered buttons with kit
  • Thumb tacks (or carpet tacks)
  • Pliers
  • Hardware to attach board to frame
  • Lots of patience :)
First, I really wanted to frame my board so my mother-in-law graciously provided one.



It was the perfect size but the gold finish didn't fit with the look I was going for. So I spray painted it black and completely fell in love!

I purchased a 24"x36" corkboard from Hobby Lobby (using their 40% off coupon), batting and one yard of fabric.  I placed the corkboard on top of the batting and fabric, then cut both pieces of material approximately two inches larger than the board.


Next, I pulled the fabric taught and stapled it to the board  in the middle of each side. I checked the front of my board to make sure the fabric was in the correct position.  (If not, simply pull the staples out, adjust fabric and restaple).

Then, I stapled the edges of the fabric all the way around the board, pulling the fabric tight each time I stapled.

Once I was done stapling, my board looked like this:


Now, time for the finishing touches!  I arranged my ribbon in a lattice design. (I got carried away and forgot to take pictures while doing the ribbon portion of my board.) I adhered the ribbon to the back of the board with thumb tacks and hot glue.



Once I was satisfied with the ribbon placement, I stuck decorative tacks at each point where the ribbon intersected. (I actually used fabric coverd buttons as my tacks.  Again, I neglected to take pictures, so here is an excellent tutorial on how to make fabric covered buttons.) Once I made my butons, I hot glued carpet tacks to the backs.  The regular thumb tacks were too short and didn't stay stuck in the cork board. I attached the board to my frame and Nick hung it in the kitchen.


Now go make your own fabric bulletin board!

Linking to Sew Chatty :)

1 comment:

  1. I adore this! That fabric is so colorful! It adds such a nice pop of color to the kitchen!! Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my wreath!!

    ReplyDelete