Friday, April 17, 2009

Interesting Thought

I was at my weekly Bible study this past Wednesday and our pastor had a great suggestion. He was addressing older women and mothers of young moms and told them that sometimes what young moms really need is a blessing. He said, "Sometimes they need your blessing more than they need your advice. Sometimes they just need to hear that they're doing a good job." That statement caught my attention for a couple of reasons.

First, I'm a new mom and I do need encouragement from older women. When times are hard with Bri and I'm worn out, it would be wonderful to hear encouraging, affirming words instead of being bombarded by a million different tips and unsolicated suggestions.

Second, my pastor's statement made me stop stop and think about how other new moms feel. We all get discouraged and drained at some point and just need someone to LISTEN without being barraged by "Have you tried such and such?" I've decided start doing for others what I wish was done for me...listen, encourage and give advice only when it is requested.

2 comments:

  1. Great advice. I will have to keep that in mind when my little one arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise lady!! Good to see you today!

    ReplyDelete